We've given up our jobs, we've sold our unit ...
Now we're ready to live life - a caravan, a car, just the two of us . . . the possibilities are endless.

Come join us on our adventures ...

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Day Trippin'

So we got up nice and early so I could go for a surf.. but didn't end up surfing.  We went down to our 'local' beach and the waves weren't really inviting me in, so we decided to take a drive to another beach.  The Northerlies were starting to get up, so there wasn't too much to choose from.

We went from the beach to the Tip Shop - oh boy......  You should see this place - it was a combined tip shop and builder's yard - soooo much stuff.  So Az and I were both drooling .. while he was outside looking at timber and stuff, I went on inside .. and as I approached one aisle, it was like the heaven's starting their orchestra .. OH MY GOD!!!  Milk bottles and soo many of them!  And it wasn't just milk bottles, there were old soda bottles, mason jars (like the ones in America.. very crafty), old film projectors, scooters... I had to hold myself back!  Being on our traveller's budget (which I wasn't liking at the time), I bought 4 bottles (such a crime to leave the rest there!!) and a tiny cake stand, that will work perfectly with my mini cakes ..
Are you jealous??  I would be :)  

It isn't this big in real life - it's only about a hand length wide.. so cute!

The Tip Shop even had a car ...

and a bus .. cause you never know when you'll need one





I was super tempted to go back and buy all the milk bottles - and then got to thinking that I'll be doing some markets soon and every market I go to, I'm asked if I sell the milk bottles that I have as a display... sooo, the perfect opportunity to make a bit of "milkk money" .. hehe, excuse the self promotion and pun.  So, today, I'm going back to see if I can't get a deal on buying the remaining 26 milk bottles.  Oh, I love our life!!


Once we'd finally managed to pry ourselves away from the Bellingen Recycle Centre, we decided to see where the road took us..  conveniently, it took us to another antique shop... where we found the most adorable little tricycles and scooters.  The owner of the shop was so full of character - he was a tall, skinny tattooed guy, who had more facial hair than a grissly bear and so scruffy that you just wanted to get a comb out and just give him a hand.  He had two sheds, one for restoring old furniture and the other was the retail shop - he'd come in every few minutes to let everyone know that he was there if they needed any assistance and to tell us again that he's got a great range of rare spare motorcycle parts.  I was wondering why he kept telling us this, but then I saw the shirt Az had on - it was an Indian Motorcycle shirt...

We drove from here to Sawtell, to have a look at the surf and a look around town - it's really pretty.  We drove through a caravan park to try and get to the beach, no access to the beach but this caravan is so big that the campers can actually do their jogging circuit around the park... seriously.  We saw about 10 joggers/walkers just in the time that it took us to drive around the park!!  Once we departed the caravan park and the throngs of joggers, we found ourselves on one of the lookout points at Sawtell, overlooking the North and South .. just beautiful.  We thought we'd go for a dip in the sea bath that's there, but once we got to the edge, noticed all the slugs in the pool, and I opted for the photographing (with my new underwater camera that Az got me for Christmas!) rather than the swimming.  Az said it used to be a lot nicer, but I guess like most areas the Council doesn't have the cash-flow to be able to keep it maintained.  The weather was just spectacular - such a good day to be outside.

Az's crab hand .. hehe


At Sawtell 

The sea bath at Sawtell

Just in case the stairs covered in moss weren't warning enough ...

The slugs that had taken over the pool .. they were mesmerising when they swam



Our bellies were starting to rumble by this stage and while on our way back to the caravan, we got distracted and ended up in Urunga - another lovely little town.  The caravan park there was awesome - it's situated right on the river and there's this wooden boardwalk that just seems to go forever, and takes you down to the beach.  The boardwalk would easily be 1km long .. well in my mind it would be anyway!  We did a stroll through the park to go down to the river and were so impressed with the Park that we went to the Reception to see what the rates were like, thinking we might relocate once our days are up here..  we'll see how that one pans out once we go to the hospital :)  I think the pub just over the road overlooking the River was a slight advantage for this caravan park.. hehe

As you can imagine, we were really starting to get hungry by now - it was about 10.30 and neither of us had had any breakfast.  So we hightailed it back to the caravan and devoured anything we could get our hands on.

The rest of the day saw us go for a dip in the pool - well Az up to his chest with his arm sticking up out of the water, and Az watched some DVDs, while I did some Milkk Money creating.
As the sun started to sink into the horizon, Az thought he'd give left-handed shaving a go ... and he did extremely well.  He only ended up with one cut (that bled for about an hour), so was pretty happy with himself.  We have an appointment on Monday 9th to get his cast off.. as you can imagine he's starting to get super super itchy and even more curious to see what's underneath.  We've already got a makeshift scratcher in place - he's seriously just like a little kid!  So Monday can't come soon enough :)


2 comments:

  1. YES i am super jealous of the milk bottles!!!! SO cute :-) Hope all goes well with Az's arm on Monday!! Just be careful where you scratch Az! Big hugs to you both xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacq - I went back and got them all so I can on sell them - so everyone has the opportunity to have one or two .. hehe. xxx

    ReplyDelete