We've given up our jobs, we've sold our unit ...
Now we're ready to live life - a caravan, a car, just the two of us . . . the possibilities are endless.

Come join us on our adventures ...

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Rainy Days

Today we're experiencing our first full night and day of rain (it is only the middle of the day, but looking at the map, I'm quite confident to say the full day).  I slept on the 'couch' last night - I have become so addicted to the Twilight books, that I'm staying up late to finish them .. one a day so far.  I'm trying to stay away from the third one today.. I need some sleep!  The rain started early in the evening and didn't let up until I went to sleep - and am assuming from the puddle (or perhaps a lake is a more apt description) that I stepped into when I stepped off the caravan step this morning, that it kept going all night.  

We were planning on Aaron doing a day of painting on the yacht (I tend to distract him apparently, so I was (self) assigned to chores throughout town.  As we left "home", it was overcast, but had finally stopped raining.  Coming into Yamba, it started bucketing down - not the kind of painting weather one usually finds advantageous.  There are signs up throughout town promoting a surf photography exhibition at the Yamba Museum.  In all the years we've been coming to Yamba, neither of us knew there was even a Museum in town!  It was my goal today to find that and check it out... until the rain.  As we sat in the carpark of the Marina, we thought we'd go check out the Laundromat in town (it's the new thing to do on a rainy day) - there were piles of laundry and you had to precariously step between them to the one table and chair setting they had there.  We decided to head back to the Marina, where it was $1 more expensive, but they have 3 power points (our phones had died and the computer hasn't been charged properly in days) - pros and cons people, pros and cons.  So here I sit, on a plastic garden chair, in a tiny laundry room that has two doors (allowing the chilly wind to have a thoroughfare to blast through), while Aaron is out at the yacht (the rain had slowed to a drizzle).  I can't go into town, as he doesn't have his phone with him (no powerpoint on the yacht), and I have no idea how long he'll be.. and it's not really fair to leave him stranded at the marina without transport or a towel for a nice hot shower.

We were lucky enough to be given a new mooring - it's right on the roadside of the Marina - prime real estate position!  So we'll be doing up some new signs and getting her ready for the Christmas traffic.  He's moving her into position now.  We'll nearly be able to walk out to her from the shore .. well almost.  It means that there'll be no more rocking from side to side (which put me to sleep every time I got onboard.. much to Aaron's amusement - I found it quite convenient when we went there to do work though.. heheh), as she won't be so exposed to the winds and waves.  

The last few days have been fairly non-eventful.  We had a bit of a road trip to Ballina yesterday, to meet up with Mum and Dad and my Aunty Helen.. which was wonderful.  They bought us the dinghy (if you can call it that.. a shell that Aaron's pumped so full of expandafoam that it floats.. just) for the yacht and some mail....  surprisingly no lotto cheque in there though, so we'll continue on with our thrifty travels.  Mum and Dad bought us a new gnome too - which will accompany Gnomeo.  I haven't taken any photos of him yet, but when you see it, you will laugh with me in thinking that it is perfect for Aaron.

The Council had decided that road works in the festive season would prove a great mood booster for all travellers.. needless to say the UHF radio was working overtime with some colourful truckie conversations, which is always great entertainment!  It was good to be in the Troopy without the tinnie on top or the caravan behind us - we were flying!!!

In more important news, did I mention how much I love our toilet?????????  Our new 'carabuddies' (caravanning friends) had warned us that with the influx of people the 'public toilets' (which are an ecofriendly long drop.. which is great if you don't mind spending your toilet time with a million flies.. which fly out of the toilet as you open the seat cover) would soon become unbearable.  We thought it time to set up the toilet and I'm pretty sure my bowels knew exactly when it was set up.. if you know what I mean!   Those of you who have been following our travels over the last year would know that I was a little skeptical about our little toilet.. but I can tell you, I am reformed!  And anyone planning on travelling without a toilet in their caravan, invest in one!!!!  Will be the best thing you do :)
So we have a little shower tent, complete with shower and toilet - and I'm loving it!!  The little 12V shower we have is also another great investment - soooooo good!  

We hosted our first 'sundowner' drinks on Tuesday night - perfect opportunity for me to bake!  I made some chocolate slice (have been having chocolate withdrawals after our pig out at Aaron's Mum and Dad's), and did up a nice plate of nibbles.. yummo!  

The surf hasn't been awesome but we managed to get in 3 surfs (I surfed twice.. Az 3 times) on Tuesday - I think my body had forgotten what sun looked like and has given me this awesome tan line.. of my bikini.  I surfed in my bikini, while Aaron wore my rashie (ironically, it was giving me a rash) and I might add, I think he was secretly loving wearing it.. every time I looked at him he'd be posing ... making him look gayer than he already did in a female's rashie.. lucky it wasn't pink!  We surfed for probably 2 hours at Brooms Head .. water was beautiful.. and as we were traveling back home, we both realised that we'd forgotten to put suncream on .... so each time I sat down for the next day or so, I was reminded that I had a beautifully sunburnt bum!

I had finally taken some photos of the set up and a few around here and there .. so will share them with you today :)




The above 3 photos are of Redcliff - the beach we are camped at



 Our campsite - complete with 'ensuite'

Aaron introducing Gnomeo to his favourite beverage

The view from our 'balcony' .. bit of bush and bit of beach .. perfect

 From where the car is parked .. can still see beach 

Aaron and Gnomeo doing the dishes

 Aaron's eating fruit!!!

But like a kid with broccoli, he has to share it with his 'friend'

When we were at Aaron's Mum & Dad's .. nice rig!


2 comments:

  1. welcome to the twilight addiction! i did the four in five days the first time i read them! the second time was a bit longer but not much! hehe. Photos are awesome Kest, as usual! LOVE the sound of the en-suite over the eco loo!! Also LOVE the updates. big hugs to you both. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realise it could be so addictive!! I now know what all the fuss was about :) So glad you're loving the updates - we're loving that people are following us xxx

    ReplyDelete